Collings Craftsmanship. No Compromises.
We are happy to announce that new Traditional Cases for our dreadnought and orchestra model guitars and F-style mandolins are now in production and available through your Collings dealer! Traditional cases are included as standard with our Traditional series guitars, but they can be ordered individually for any of our D and OM style guitars or F-style mandolins.
New for 2016, Bill Collings has applied the same high standards he holds for his instruments to designing a custom fit, hand-made case that is perfectly matched to Collings instruments.
With his knowledge of the high quality of craftsmanship present in 1930’s era cases, Bill felt that many modern cases fell short. Often built with mass production in mind, most modern cases are unnecessarily bulky, with thick padding added to make up for a “one size fits all” approach. Back in 2011 Bill set out to make a case that incorporated the lightweight, custom fit quality of 1930’s era cases with added strength and durability, eliminating all the common inconveniences and failure points of most modern cases.
Collings cases are built with absolutely no compromises. For the past five years, custom hardware and tooling have been developed and every detail of the case has been prototyped, refined, and tested. In the process, Bill added his own unique and vintage inspired aesthetic touches: a purple crushed velvet interior for guitars and green for mandolins, custom imprinted and vintage-styled Collings hardware, and voluptuous case arches that hint at the form of the inner instrument. In every way, this is a case that amplifies the experience of owning a fine Collings instrument and will protect and complement your instrument for decades to come.
- Construction consists of a 3-ply poplar veneer, laminated here in our shop with alternating grain orientations for strength and shaped in custom presses for precise dimensions. The outer covering is a heavy-duty 22oz vinyl with no stitching around the lid, eliminating the common failure point of frayed or broken thread.
- Incredibly lightweight and easy to handle, the Collings case materials and handle location have been designed for a perfectly horizontal balance when carried. The grained leather handle incorporates heavy duty metal straps and welded “D” attachment rings, attached to custom radiused anchors for superior longevity.
- Injection molded padding is made from a custom foam mixture that was developed in-house to achieve an ideal balance of shock absorption and mass. Padding includes a neck rest and fingerboard cushion, placed to make the instrument perfectly level and stable, eliminating any stress points.
- Latching hardware has been reduced to four latches; this is made possible by the precision fit and strength of the case lid. Latches are designed to our spec based on vintage latches that are no longer made. Custom spring tension allows for a comfortable yet solid feel that tightly snaps shut and won’t weaken over time.
- The case interior lining is made of rayon with a crushed velvet texture that we re-crush, wash and dry for exceptional softness and protection. Just like the wood, binding and purfling grain orientations of Collings instruments, the grain of the interior fabric is fastened to uniformly run in the same direction throughout the case.
- Hinges are made of strong nickel plated steel with very little “play” in the rotation, keeping them from loosening with time. Side and bottom feet are constructed of durable steel. The custom case bumper at the base of the case features a unique nickel-plated steel and hard rubber design. The rubber is molded in-house and was chosen for its balance of shock absorption properties and durability.