'OM' stands for "Orchestra Model," but 80 years after this body shape was first designed it has become the most popular 14-fret model with fingerstyle guitar soloists who choose to play on steel strings. Yet flatpickers also find it appealing, and when the graceful cutaway is added these OMs are often used by lead players who routinely explore all 20 frets much as they would on an electric guitar. The compact shape makes the Collings OM equally easy to handle onstage or when sitting on the couch, and the relatively shallow body (barely over 4 inches deep) results in balanced tone and an immediate response.
Standard Features Include:
- Select sitka spruce top
- Mahogany back & sides
- Black/white wood nitrate strip rosette
- Tortoise-style top/back body binding
- Black/white wood purfling with 1-style walnut backstrip
- Pre-war scalloped bracing
- Tortoise-style celluloid pickguard
- High gloss nitrocellulose lacquer finish
- Mahogany neck
- Square headstock with no volute
- 15 degree headstock angle
- Ebony peghead overlay with inlaid Collings logo
- Ebony fingerboard with ebony belly-style bridge
- Mortise and tenon hybrid neck joint
- 20 Frets, neck joins the body at the 14th fret
- Modified V neck profile with 2 3/16" string spacing
- 14"-26" Compound fingerboard radius
- 1 11/16" Bone nut and drop-in saddle
- 25 1/2" Scale length
- Medium 18% nickel-silver fretwire
- Mother of pearl dot fingerboard inlays
- Fully adjustable truss rod
- Ebony bridge pins and end pin
- Nickel Waverly tuners with 16:1 ratio
- Recommended string gauge - D'Addario EJ-16 (.012"-.053")
- Collings deluxe hardshell case by TKL
more custom acoustic guitar options
Pete Huttlinger - OM1 Cut
Pete Huttlinger plays "Darcy's Guitar" on his 1997 Collings OM1 Cut.
Pete Huttlinger - OM1 A Cut
Pete Huttlinger plays "Tommy in the Morning" on his Collings OM1 A Cut.
Pete Huttlinger - OM1 Mh SB
Pete Huttlinger plays Monaghan's Jig on a custom Collings OM1 Mh SB.
- Body Length: 19 1/4"
- Body Depth at Side: 4 1/8"
- Lower Bout Width: 15"
- Total Length: 39 1/2"
- Scale Length: 25 1/2"
- Standard Nut Width: 1 11/16"
- Factory Strings: D'Addario EJ-16 (.012"-.053")
- Recommended Gauges:
- Custom Acoustic Guitar Gallery: OM1 Koa G SS #15503
- Custom Acoustic Guitar Gallery: OM1 Mh SB #14754
- Custom Acoustic Guitar Gallery: OM1 Mh #14403
- Custom Acoustic Guitar Gallery: OM1 A Cut SB #15405
- Interview: Bill Collings interview from Acoustic magazine
- Acoustic Guitar Options: Neck Profile and Bridge Options Diagram
- Custom Acoustic Guitar Gallery: OM1 A Special #17669
- Artists and Sightings: Pete Huttlinger - Collings OM1 Cut
- Artists and Sightings: David Doucet - Collings OM1 A
- Artists and Sightings: Lori McKenna - Collings OM1 A