This is the original 12-fret dreadnought shape, first designed as an oversized Hawaiian guitar almost a century ago. We've retained the shape and wide neck with slotted headstock from that bygone era, but our DS models are thoroughly modern guitars with a unique sound all their own. The longer body, with the bridge closer to the center of the lower bout, delivers an open, airy tone with smoothness and warmth not typically found in modern, 14-fret dreadnoughts. Whether flatpicked or played fingerstyle, these guitars have lots of headroom and the wide dynamic range invites everything from mellow accompaniment to biting leads.
Standard Features Include:
- Select sitka spruce top
- East Indian rosewood back and sides
- Cross-cut grained ivoroid and wood nitrate strip rosette
- Grained ivoroid top/back body binding
- Herringbone trim with matching 2-style backstrip
- Pre-war scalloped bracing
- Tortoise-style celluloid pickguard
- High gloss nitrocellulose lacquer finish
- Mahogany neck
- Square slotted headstock with volute
- 15 degree headstock angle
- Ebony peghead overlay with inlaid Collings logo
- Ebony fingerboard with ebony belly-style bridge
- Mortise and tenon hybrid neck joint
- 19 Frets, neck joins the body at the 12th fret
- Modified V neck profile with 2 3/8" string spacing
- 14"-26" Compound fingerboard radius
- 1 13/16" Bone nut and drop-in saddle
- 25 1/2" Scale length
- Medium 18% nickel-silver fretwire
- Mother of pearl diamond and square fingerboard inlays
- Fully adjustable truss rod
- Ebony bridge pins and end pin
- Nickel Waverly slot-head tuners with 16:1 ratio
- Recommended string gauge - D'Addario EJ-17 (.013"-.056")
- Collings deluxe hardshell case by TKL
more custom acoustic guitar options
No multimedia is currently available for this instrument.
- Body Length: 20 7/8"
- Body Depth at Side: 4 7/8"
- Lower Bout Width: 15 5/8"
- Total Length: 40 1/8"
- Scale Length: 25 1/2"
- Standard Nut Width: 1 13/16"
- Factory Strings: D'Addario EJ-17 (.013"-.056")
- Recommended Gauges: