The square-shouldered 14-fret dreadnought is the most popular steel-string acoustic guitar body shape in the world. While Collings is certainly not the only company to build them, we bring a new tonal clarity to the depth and warmth usually associated with such a large, deep-bodied guitar. Although its bass response makes the dreadnought ideal for vocal accompaniment, Collings versions are also often employed by bluegrass flatpickers who must compete with inherently louder instruments such as banjos and fiddles. The wide range of woods and neck sizes offered allow dreadnought fans to find a Collings model ideally suited to their playing style and tonal preference.
Standard Features Include:
- Select sitka spruce top
- East Indian rosewood back and sides
- Cross-cut grained ivoroid and wood nitrate strip rosette
- Grained ivoroid top/back body binding
- Herringbone trim with matching 2-style backstrip
- Pre-war scalloped bracing
- Tortoise-style celluloid pickguard
- High gloss nitrocellulose lacquer finish
- Mahogany neck
- Square headstock with volute
- 15 degree headstock angle
- Ebony peghead overlay with inlaid Collings logo
- Ebony fingerboard with ebony belly-style bridge
- Mortise and tenon hybrid neck joint
- 20 Frets, neck joins the body at the 14th fret
- Modified V neck profile with 2 3/16" string spacing
- 14"-26" Compound fingerboard radius
- 1 11/16" Bone nut and drop-in saddle
- 25 1/2" Scale length
- Medium 18% nickel-silver fretwire
- Mother of pearl diamond and square fingerboard inlays
- Fully adjustable truss rod
- Ebony bridge pins and end pin
- Nickel Waverly tuners with 16:1 ratio
- Recommended string gauge - D'Addario EJ-17 (.013"-.056")
- Collings deluxe hardshell case by TKL
more custom acoustic guitar options
No multimedia is currently available for this instrument.
- Body Length: 20"
- Body Depth at Side: 4 7/8"
- Lower Bout Width: 15 5/8"
- Total Length: 40 1/4"
- Scale Length: 25 1/2"
- Standard Nut Width: 1 11/16"
- Factory Strings: D'Addario EJ-17 (.013"-.056")
- Recommended Gauges:
- Interview: Bill Collings interview from Acoustic magazine
- Acoustic Guitar Options: Neck Profile and Bridge Options Diagram
- Review: The ToneQuest Report -Collings D1 and D2H reviews
- Artists and Sightings: Woody Platt - Collings D2H V
- Artists and Sightings: Stephen Mougin - Collings D2H G
- Artists and Sightings: Ruth Moody - Collings D2H
- Artists and Sightings: Thad Beckman - Collings D2H
- Artists and Sightings: Jim Lauderdale - Collings D2H A SB
- Artists and Sightings: Cody Kilby - Collings D2H A
- Artists and Sightings: Jimmie Dale Gilmore - Collings D2H
- Artists and Sightings: Sam Baker - Collings D2H